Dishwashers are a popular pick if you’re looking for kitchen appliances that are quiet and flexible. In a modern kitchen, more space makes for a more convenient and luxurious design. Fortunately for us, both designs offer all these features along with a high-efficiency mechanism that allows for effective dishwashing. That’s only possible with the use of the best dishwasher detergent.
Before moving forward to detailed reviews please have a look on our top ten picks:
|EcoSense||Melaleuca EcoSense Diamond Brite Automatic Dish Washer Detergent Packs 8.5oz — 20 Convenient Single–Use Packs||Prime||Buy Now|
|Finish||Bosch Finish SGZ9091UC Dishwasher Salt - 2Kg||Prime||Buy Now|
|Seventh Generation||Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Gel Soap, Lemon Scent, 42 Oz. Bottles, Pack of 6, (Packaging May Vary)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Method||Method Dish Dishwasher Soap Packs, Free + Clear, 45 Count (Pack of 1) (Packaging may vary)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Cascade||Cascade Rinse Aid Platinum, Dishwasher Rinse Agent, Regular Scent, 30.5 oz||Prime||Buy Now|
|Miele||Miele 10245660 Dishwasher Tabs-20 per box 3X20, 60 Tabs, White, Count||Prime||Buy Now|
|NATURE CLEAN||NATURE CLEAN Automatic Dishwasher Pacs, Kosher, Naturally Derived, Fragrance Free, 60Count, 2.3 Lbs||Prime||Buy Now|
|Melaleuca||Melaleuca Diamond Brite Automatic Dish Washer Detergent Liquid 45oz — 25 Loads||Prime||Buy Now|
|Lemi Shine||Lemi Shine Natural Dishwasher Pods, 65 Count, Plus Shine and Dry Natural Dishwasher Rinse Aid, 3 Pack of 8.45oz - Dishwasher Bundle Pack||Prime||Buy Now|
|Member's Mark||Member's Mark Ultimate Clean Automatic Dishwasher Pacs (105 ct.)||Prime||Buy Now|
You’ll Never Dread Washing Dishes Again
But for those who use it they know, there is more to think about when buying a dishwasher than simply the motor power it has to offer. With a dishwasher, you want to make sure you are using the correct dishwasher detergent for an effective wash. Let’s not talk about liquid dish soap that lather on too quick at all!
You know what we’re hinting at if you’ve had a soapy mess all over your kitchen floor or had your dishes done while still covered in slippery soap. Here are some popular types of dishwasher detergents that are used and which among them should probably be preferred :
3 Types of Dishwasher Detergents
If you’ve experimented with the different kinds of dishwashing detergents, then it is possible that you came across these three most commonly used dishwasher detergent types:
1. Dishwashing tablets
These are concentrated blocks of dishwash powder. However, some of them might be completely made of dishwasher gel as compared to dishwasher powder. You can use them by throwing them in the dispenser or spreading them over the main area where the dishes are being washed.
Dishwasher tablets are a popular choice for dishwashers because they come in perfectly measured dosages. You can throw them in and know that it will not overdo the lather or make your dishes too soapy when they’re done. Moreover, unlike powdered form, you are less likely to overspill them.
The only disadvantage these detergents would have is that they are much more expensive than the other sorts of detergents. This also owes to the additives and rinse aids that are present in these dishwashers.
2. Dishwashing powder
Since we’re on the subject of prices, let’s return to the cheapest possible option for dishwasher detergents, the powdered form. Like laundry powders, they come packed in big pouches that you can scoop from.
The amount you use is completely up to you, but with time and a few failed efforts, you learn to measure just the right amount of powder. If you over pour the powder will leave your dishes swimming in soap lather. Another drawback is the health risks for kids or pets if they find their way to the dishwasher detergent.
3. Dishwasher Gel
The gel form is similar to the washing up liquid, and it is poured into the dispenser or dishwasher main area. In terms of prices, it is an average cost somewhere in the middle of tablets and powders. While the gel form of detergent is much likely to dissolve, it doesn’t always completely dissolve.
Sometimes when it is over-poured, you will need to put in an extra effort to wash up the residue. It can leave a lather of soap or water spots on your dishes. You can use gel form tablets to use them in concentrated amounts so that there is no over-spillage.
What Type of Dishwasher Detergent is Better?
Ultimately the best pick for dishwashers is a gel or powdered tablet that is made in concentrated amounts. They provide convenience with ease of use. This is the most reliable detergent form that is used. However, if you’re looking for overall convenience, then the powdered form of detergents is definitely the one to go for. While it doesn’t come in measured amounts, it is convenient for the price range.
Moreover, if you have a supply of hard water that you use, then powdered detergent definitely has the upper hand. The water hardness levels directly impact the performance of the detergents. If you are not using a built-in water softener detergent, then powder detergents are the way to go.
Seeing how many beginner users suffer damages while choosing the correct dishwasher detergent, we decided to try a few out ourselves to see which one works best for the popular Bosch dishwasher appliance. We did the testing, so you wouldn’t have to!
1. Melaleuca Dish Washer Detergent
- Natural Enzymes — It uses natural enzymes to convert the grease and oils to convert to soap.
- Shine finishing — The detergent leaves your dishes sparkling when you are done with them so that all your dishes look spot-free
- No chlorine and Phosphates — It preserves the nature of your dishes by eliminating chlorine and phosphates from the detergents
Upon research, we found that some of the other detergents that we had used left a residue of hard water and detergent stains in the form of white film on the interior of the dishwasher.
Upon using this dishwasher, we got rid of these stains and refreshed the original shine of the interior material. If you’re looking for a dishwasher that provides high-efficiency in minimum usage, then this is definitely the one for you.
It uses biological enzymes to remove dirt and grease in your dishes. If you have a hard water or septic system at home, this is definitely the detergent you should go for.
It arrives in a well-packaged form and works better than it looks. It will leave your dishes with a tasteful scent along with a clean, shiny surface. The only problem is that it might be more expensive than your average budget for dishwasher detergent.
2. Bosch Finish Dishwasher Salt
- Water softening — It uses unique water softening properties to make sure that it is applicable for hard water systems
- High-performance — It cleans your dishes thoroughly without any residual films
- Lather — It does not produce too much lather
For people with hard water supplies, this is the best; most recommended dishwasher detergent.
It has in-built water softening properties that help the detergent dissolve and properly perform its function.
It doesn’t just perform better, but it also cleans the dishes much faster since it will dissolve much quicker, even in hard water. This high-performance detergent doesn’t just keep your dishes clean, but it also keeps the inside of your dishwasher clean.
The rinsing agent and salts help eliminate the hard spots that may be problematic even through hand washing.
The only loophole of this dishwasher is that it might be a little overpriced compared to the regular water softener detergents used; however, once we used it, we could make sense of the price given the effective quality of the product.
3. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Gel Soap
- Thorough cleaning — It properly cleans even larger dishes so that you do not have to hand wash them
- Biological additives — It uses natural enzymes for better cleaning of your dishes
- Dishwasher friendly — This detergent is very useful for all kinds of dishwashers.
The additives used particularly in this dishwasher make it very useful for thorough cleaning of even larger dishes like saucepans.
If you are looking to minimize the effort you put into each wash cycle; this is definitely the detergent you should go for.
It requires minimum scrubbing, so you don’t have to hand wash dishes before loading them in the dishwasher.
The bio-additives added to the detergent help get rid of the oil and grease stains that are traditionally much harder to get rid of.
By the time your dishes come out, they will be sparkling clean. However, the best quality about this dishwasher is that although it is perfect for a Bosch dishwasher, it is applicable and perfect for other dishwashers.
It can be used for both hard and soft water systems. Once again, the price tag might seem slightly unexpected; however, we vouch for its quality!
4. Method Dish Dishwasher Soap Packs
- Eco-Friendly — Naturally derived Packaging and mineral-based powder that is non-toxic and made of natural ingredients
- Helps Sparkle — The rinse aids help keep the sparkle on the dishes it keeps your dishes in prime condition
- Strong action — The powder is made of strong ingredients that can wash up to 24 hours long stuck-on food.
Looking for an eco-friendlier dishwasher? Then Method Dishwasher is the one to go with. It comes in controlled amounts of dish wash packets, making it user-friendly; you will not have to worry about spillage with this particular dish wash detergent.
Unlike most other natural ingredients-based dishwasher detergents, this one does not give your kitchen a weird smell.
The mineral-based powder comes with rinse-aids that you can use to make sure that your dishes are spotless.
You will be using controlled amounts, and when the dishes come out of the dishwasher, they will not just be smelling great, but they will also be looking clean and tidy. With this dishwasher detergent, you will not have to worry about leftover residue or washing larger dishes.
Like most other detergents, the best part is using this detergent will not leave a white foggy film on them.
5. Cascade Rinse Aid Platinum, Dishwasher Rinse Agent
- Spot-free dishes — A strong detergent that leaves your dishes spot free and shining by the end of the wash
- Easy-dry features — Helps you not just easily wash your dishes but just as easily dry them
- Rinse-aid — It has strong rinse aid additives that make this dishwasher a string and reliable dishwasher
Frustrated with the deteriorating condition of the interior of your dishwasher? Well, Cascade Rinse is the perfect solution for you.
Not only does it rinse your dishes clean, but it also makes sure that the insides of your dishwasher are also made prim and proper. The powerful rinse aids will help with the longevity of your dishwasher.
The calcium builds up from other detergents can leave your motor retarding in function. This eventually leads to the drain and washing pump not working properly or intermittently. In our personal experience, this dishwasher detergent instantly rids the calcium deposits and helps boost the dishwasher functions.
Moreover, your dishes will come out cleaner. The only disadvantage here is that the strong soap ingredients used in the detergents can cause a white film to accumulate over your dishes. Washing them multiple times might sometimes become a necessity.
6. Miele Dishwasher Tabs
- Plastic wrap — The sachets come in tablet form with plastic wrap around them; you do not need to remove the plastic
- Limited Doses — The sachets have limited doses of powder so that you wouldn’t use a lot of it and make a mess
- Residue-resistant — The rinse-aids make the dishwasher residue resistant, so it will easily wash out hard stains.
We found Mielle to be the closest thing to a convenient option for a dishwasher detergent. It comes in small measured doses that are wrapped in plastic.
However, you do not have to remove the plastic; you can take the sachet and drop it in the dishwasher. You will no longer have to worry about washing or scraping your dishes before you put them in. Let the detergent take care of the work for you.
With most other detergents, you will be left to deal with a distinct smell on your dishes when you are done with them. Fortunately for you, this is not the case with this detergent.
With this one, you can wash off all your dishes and be sure that your dishes will still be smelling good. With the limited dose, you will not be overspilling or creating a mess in your kitchen.
The only disadvantage that you will face is that Maleie is more expensive than most others.
7. NATURE CLEAN Automatic Dishwasher Pacs
- Fragrance-free — Because it is made of organic material
- Cruelty-free — Vegan certified completely eco-friendly dishwasher detergent
- Plant-based — It uses plant-based derivatives and minerals to make sure that it properly rinses all the residue from your dishes out
Nature clean is another one that you can use if you care enough about the environment around you. PETA approved and made of completely natural ingredients; this is a perfect detergent for its organic-friendly nature.
The ingredients do not include phosphates and chlorine, which helps your dishes keep away from the chlorine accumulation on your dishwasher.
The white film and crust are also taken care of with this dishwasher detergent. It keeps your dishes hygienic and free of artificial chemically induced effects like fragrance.
The only downside that we had to face is that the lack of fragrance isn’t very favorable when washing dishes where you might need to get rid of the food smells.
It isn’t the most effective rise-aid, which means you will probably have to scrub the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
8. Melaleuca Diamond Brite Automatic Dish Washer Detergent Liquid
- Safe Cleaning — It safely cleans and clears your dishes
- Concentrated amount — The bottle is filled with the fluid so that the price will be worth it
- Natural enzymes — Naturally derived enzymes are used so that the food material can easily dissolve
Buying Melaleuca, you will be sure that you’re getting every penny’s worth of product. The product comes in a satisfying amount of fluid detergent.
The lack of use of caustic chemicals and chlorine helps clean your dishes with a more natural touch. You wouldn’t have to rewash to get rid of the while flaky film that gathers on the liquid.
If you’re looking for a well-performing organic detergent, then this is definitely the one you are looking for.
However, when testing it out, we found that it tends to leave a strong scent on dishes that might be hard to rid of than normal dishwash detergents. If you’re looking to clean dishes that need drastic cleansing, then this is the one for you.
9. Lemi Shine Natural Dishwasher
- Powder and Gel form — Lemi detergent has the perfect powder and gel combination.
- Eco-Friendly — The natural critic extract is more eco-friendly than other detergents
- Strong Rinse-aid — The strong detergent helps with leaving you sparkling clean dishes
Lemi is a unique type of dishwasher detergent that uses both gel and powder form. It leaves your dishes smelling clean and lemon-fresh.
Since no harsh chemicals are used, it ticks the boxes for being an eco-friendly product as well. It does not contain harsh toxins and extracts that may or may not harm your health.
Lemi has strong cleansing properties. It gives the quality cleaning of chemically added products with the use of organic products.
You can throw in the dishes with the toughest stains and still expect Lemi to do a good job.
What’s more? It doesn’t tend to have the detergent rich smell as well. So, no matter how many times you end up cleaning your dishes in this dishwasher, they are still going to be smelling lemon-fresh.
It comes concentrated in bottles so that you’d be getting a good quality with a satisfying amount of detergent too.
10. Member’s Mark Ultimate Clean Automatic Dishwasher
- Cuts through old, stubborn grease — Baked-on grimes and doesn’t require a pre-wash.
- Leaves the dishes more sparkly — Glossy without adding any hazy film to them.
- Comes with a refreshing scent — That doesn’t linger on the dishes after a final rinse.
The Member’s Mark dishwasher detergent is the best option for people looking for a reasonably priced detergent. With its Ultimate Cleaning formula, you can expect the dishes to be crystal clear and shiny without any manual effort. We all want to get the dishes clean to the deepest level without exhausting ourselves.
Its foamy formula eliminates the need for a pre-wash by naturally softening up the chunks of food particles and grimes.
Detergents in this price point often hold a quick-fix formula that ends up damaging the shine and gloss of your dishes. This one is perfectly gentle and doesn’t attack your dishes’ outer coating while still being hard on the stains.
11. Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap
- The thick and dense foaming — Let you clean with a few drops only and goes a long way.
- Gentle on glassware — It does not leave any unwanted spotting after cleaning.
- The formula absorbs — Softens up more grease than other competing detergents.
This dishwasher detergent by Dawn is perfect for cleaning your dishes and is especially great for glassware. If you are looking for something that won’t leave any hazy films and spotting on your stainless steel dishes, you will love it. It’s hard-on-grease formula doesn’t damage the shine and gloss of stainless steel.
Moreover, it is also friendly to other materials and can be used for cleaning your kitchen and cabinets.
With this one, you can have the peace of mind knowing you won’t have to deal with your dishes needing to go through multiple cycles. It gets even the greasiest dishes super clean and sparkly in the first wash.
Overall, it’s a perfect all-rounder when you have more grease to deal with but need a quick clean.
12. Love Home and Planet Dishwasher Detergent
- Fully plant and mineral-based formula — Gives a glossy and spotless clean without using phosphates.
- Comes in attractive recyclable — Packaging along with a refreshing lavender scent.
- More affordable — Compared to other sustainable and ethically sourced detergents.
If you want a cruelty-free detergent and doesn’t contribute to a lot of waste, you will love this one. Despite being free of harsh and abrasive chemicals and being 78% plant-based, it gives the perfect clean to your dishes. You get a refreshing lavender scent, but it’s good to know that it doesn’t stick with the dishes after the wash.
Most detergents that feature an eco-friendly, recyclable packaging like this one can be a bit pricier and aren’t as effective as tough stains and grimes. This one is impressively value-based, and you get a generously packed detergent for an affordable price.
Overall, it’s a highly effective formula, doesn’t leave any unnecessary coating on the dishes, and also preserves their shine in the long-run.
13. Shaklee Dish Washer Automatic Concentrate
- In-Depth Clean — An in-depth clean without leaving any residue on the dishes.
- Holds a biodegradable, natural formula — That is free from harsh chemicals that can contaminate the air.
- Designed for quick dissolving — So it doesn’t leave any residue that can affect your dishwasher’s longevity.
The Shaklee concentrated detergent is perfect for getting a quick but sparkly clean without an expensive price tag. The formula uses enzymes to combat stubborn grease and is really nice for tough baked-on grimes.
Thanks to its quick dissolve formula, you won’t have to run your dishes through another cycle to get the detergent off. It cleans and washes away all the foam and residue quickly without the need to rinse over and over again.
Moreover, it does all this while being fully biodegradable and free of harsh chemicals that can affect your health in the long-run. Overall, it is a reasonably priced detergent that you can rely on for years to come.
14. Earth Friendly Products Wave Auto Dishwasher Gel
- The environment-friendly formula — 100% biodegradable and made with all-natural ingredients.
- Gel-based — The Formula lets you clean more while using up less detergent.
- Effectively removes coffee stains — Prevents etching and water spots.
Harsh and abrasive chemicals in the detergents can destroy the external coating naturally present on all glassware and dishes. This gel-based detergent is made with 100% biodegradable ingredients, which means they are more gentle to your dishes.
If you have had previous bad experiences with detergents causing etching and spotting that leaves your glassware looking awful and worn-out, you will love it.
It ensures that it is tough on grease and baked-on grimes without being harsh to the glassware’s natural shine.
15. Brillo Basics Dishwasher Detergent Gel
- Leaves the dishes naturally sparkling — Without adding a hazy film responsible for making dishes and glassware look worn-out.
- Concentrated formula — Effectively softens up stubborn grease and baked-on debris that can be hard to remove without manual effort.
- It’s gentle on hands — It preserves the natural coating of your glassware.
The Brillo Basics Dishwasher detergent is an affordable detergent that gets the job done without the fancy features. Its simple formula is really nice for keeping your dishwasher in good health in the long-run. Abrasive and overactive chemicals in some detergents can destroy your dishwasher’s health and can also be difficult to remove later on.
This detergent eliminates this problem with its gentle formula. It’s just the perfect fit for when you don’t have any baked-on stains or tough grimes to remove. If you only need something that will clean the greasy dishes and doesn’t cost too much, this is a perfect choice.
Dishwasher is a wonderful choice for any kitchen because it is effective. However, the right dishwasher detergent can add a lot of value to a dishwasher.
If you are on the lookout for the perfect detergent for your favorite dishwasher, then we hope you extract value from this blog.