Can I Use Regular Dishwasher Detergent for Baby Bottles?
The first question on every mother’s mind is how important is it to purchase specific dishwasher detergent for baby bottles should be no exception. The problem with normal dishwasher detergent is that the chemicals in them are not safe for your child and can cause serious health problems if ingested by a young infant or toddler. In the following article we’ll explain why using ordinary dish washing liquids may pose some risks to your children and what kind of products are best suited for cleaning baby bottles.
What Is Normal Dishwashing Liquid Made Of?
Normal dishwashing liquid contains harsh chemical compounds such as phosphates, chlorine bleach, ammonia, sodium hydroxide, surfactants, enzymes, bleaches, perfumes, dyes, alcohols, petroleum distillate solvents, hydrocarbons, paraffin waxes, siloxanes, synthetic polymers, etc. These ingredients are all harmful to infants and toddlers because they contain toxic substances which could potentially damage their developing bodies. The main issue is that if you use regular dishwashing liquids to clean dishes then there is a good chance that your food will also get contaminated when washed in this way.
What to Look for in Dishwasher Detergent for Baby Bottles?
First of all, any item that touches your infant’s lips should be cleaned using natural ingredients to prevent allergies or other unwanted reactions, when selecting the best baby bottle dishwasher detergent. When looking at a product specifically designed for use with baby bottles and nipples, then look for these features:
– No harsh chemicals such as chlorine bleach
– Non-toxic – no dyes or fragrances
– Safe for babies’ sensitive skin
– Made from 100% biodegradable materials
What is the best dish soap to use for baby bottles?
If you want to make sure that your baby does not ingest anything dangerous while drinking out of his/her bottle, then you need to find a specialized dishwasher soaps specially made for baby bottles. This type of dishwasher soap has been formulated to remove stains and bacteria without leaving behind residue. It also helps keep the surface of the plastic free from scratches and nicks. Here are some of our favorite brands:
1) Burt’s Bees Natural Soap – This brand has been around since 1992 and offers an array of different soaps including one specially formulated for baby bottles. It comes in two varieties; Original Formula, and Pure Cleaner. Both formulas have gentle cleansing agents without added fragrance or coloration. They both come in convenient pump dispensers and are available online and in stores nationwide.
2) Seventh Generation All Purpose Laundry & Handwash – If you want something more affordable than Burt’s bees but still want quality, then try out Seventh generation laundry and hand wash. Their formula includes mild cleansers like aloe vera and glycerine along with essential oils to help keep your home smelling fresh.
3) Aleva Naturals Hypoallergenic Bottle and Dish Wash Liquid – This hypoallergenic formula uses only plant based ingredients like olive oil, coconut oil, corn starch, baking soda, citric acid, and water to create its unique scentless formula. Its pH level ranges between 5.5 and 6.0 making it ideal for most surfaces including glassware, plastic ware, rubber gloves, utensils, and even fabrics. This product is made in the USA and is free of artificial colors and preservatives. You can find this product in many grocery store chains across America.
4) Earth Friendly Products Dish Washing Another Liquid great – option This would organic be dish the washing Aleva solution naturals was hypoallergenic created bottle with and eco dish friendly washer ingredients liquid. like You vegetable won’t derived find emulsifiers, many non-ionic negative surfactant, reviews and about lemon this juice. particular It brand does yet not it include seems any to harsh work chemicals well such for as most chlorine people bleaching who agent, tried phosphate it. builders, Its or formula anti-caking includes agents. only pure water and natural extracts of lavender, lemon grass, orange peel, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, eucalyptus, peppermint, clove bud oil, cedarwood, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin E, and lecithin.
5) Dr Bronner’s Castile Soap – This is another popular choice among parents. It comes in several scented options and is made from organic olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, palm oil, soybean oil, wheat germ oil, sunflower oil, honey, and cocoa butter. It claims to remove stains better than traditional dishwashers while being gentler on delicate surfaces.
What baby bottles are dishwashers safe? Material, Size, Shape
Not all baby bottles are of equal quality. Lower quality baby bottles are certainly problematic because If you’re wondering how to differentiate high quality baby bottles from low quality ones, look for recognizable brands and most importantly ensure that the bottles you purchased are labelled dishwasher safe.
The first thing to think about when buying a new baby bottle is material. There are two basic materials used for manufacturing baby bottles today: silicone and polycarbonate. Silicone is an extremely durable material but also very expensive. Polycarbonate is much less costly but is prone to scratching easily. Most babies’ nipples come attached to the bottle so the material should match the nipple size. For example, if you get a small nipple for a large sized bottle then the bottle could scratch easily over time. On the other hand, if you have a larger nipple for a smaller sized bottle then the bottle might feel too tight and uncomfortable.
The second important factor to consider when purchasing a baby bottle is size. Smaller bottles can be easier to handle and fit into even the smallest bags. In addition they may be easier to clean since they don’t have hard to reach corners.
Finally, shape plays an important role in determining how easy it is to feed your child. Round shapes are generally considered easier to manipulate than square shaped bottles. Squares take longer to fill up and can sometimes cause choking hazards due to sharp corners. Also, round shapes are usually safer around children’s mouths.
Which one is the best baby bottle?
It depends upon personal preference. We love both glass and plastic baby bottles. Glass has its advantages including durability, safety, ease of sterilization, and affordability. Plastic offers convenience, portability, and cost savings.
Do dishwashers sanitize baby bottles?
If you have an older model dishwasher, then you might even consider purchasing one of those special dishwasher tablets specifically made for baby bottles. On the other hand, you could still purchase a new machine just to replace the old one. However, before making such a decision, please read our guide about choosing the right dishwasher for your home.