Smart thermostats were born in 2011 when Nest took a revolutionary step and introduced a WiFi thermostat to learn and follow the schedule. It was an extreme step that compels competitors to make more innovative products and opens new opportunities for many technology companies to enter this lucrative market. Many things have changed from then to now, and modern-day real smart thermostats can connect with the smart home kits, and Assistants as well can integrate with other supporting smart devices.
A top-rated smart thermostat can connect with other smart home solutions, learn from your routine, and set a schedule automatically also can detect occupancy, can sense when you are not home-based on motion activation and Geo-fencing to turn off the device as well as can optimize the devices for low power consumption to save on energy bills.
A best-rated smart thermostat can bring a lot of ease in your life; with a home assistant, these thermostats can be controlled with voice, and remote apps provide full access where the owner can see the live setting view reports and can remotely adjust the schedules. The top three in this race are listed below, which are our recommendations as well.
If you are not a fan of big names and want functionality only other than smart scheduling, then Emerson ST55 Smart Thermostat is the best solution for you. We recently reviewed some of the best multi-zone thermostats that you can use to monitor the temperature of different zones inside your house. I believe that every homeowner has something different in mind. To buy the best smart thermostat that can monitor your whole house choice is very limited.
But if you list all of your requirements, then it will become easy for you to find the right thermostat for yourself. You may also visit cheap smart thermostats to find a cost-effective option.
Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control
- Most Advanced: it redesigned and engineered with a vivid touch display, quad-core processor, and dual-band WiFi Support 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, provide the same power as the mobile phone, and its support of room sensors is amazing.
- Alexa Builtin: an ideal thermostat for music lovers, built-in Alexa allows you to stay connected through your thermostat, supports all advanced Alexa features.
- App-controlled and energy saver: the futuristic thermostat’s app provides full control over its features, and its energy-saving characteristic can save you 23% on energy bills.
- Work With Favorites: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings & IFTTT, Spotify Connect, and Bluetooth streaming, and it can be integrated with all devices in your home, support Apple HomeKit, IFTTT for smart home integration.
Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice Control is the most modern equipment in its class, engineered to save maximum energy bills and integrate with all other smart solutions. If you are a homeowner who loves to control devices through voice and very fond of music, then it’s the ultimate solution for you. It’s my view that you cannot find anything better than this thermostat. Just like others, it wouldn’t depend on a single point to measure the temperature of your house.
Its room sensors allow you to monitor the temperature of different zones or rooms in your home to get a better environment that you love. It is the real top-rated thermostat.
You will be amazed to know that the only smart thermostat in the market that supports 5.0 GHz Wifi frequency will definitely save you a lot of cost in the future. I fall in love with the device when I found that it can detect me through geo-fencing and smart detection and become sure that it can turn on the right mode while detecting the occupancy. It prioritizes the occupied zone or room that is also an energy-saving feature.
You may ask Alexa or your other favorite home assistant to change the temperature or turn on your preferred model. Its Home Assistant feature turns off the device when you are not at home and learns from your schedule to feel comfortable.
Drawbacks: nothing found not to love.
Google 3rd Gen Nest Learning Thermostat
- Self Learner & Farsight: no more confusing programming, it is designed to learn from your schedule and temperature changes, as well as preferred mode then after a week, starts providing your best experience automatically, can detect you when you are in the room light up and show you critical information.
- Real Smart Thermostat: it is a WiFi thermostat that can connect and integrate with other smart devices and a good energy saver with a built-in energy-saving mode. Its app provides remote connectivity and full control over the device.
- Geofencing and Motion Activation: it can detect you either from geofencing or motion sensor to turn on your most preferred mode. This feature also allows it to save a lot of energy.
- Work With Favorites: it is compatible with other nest devices and can connect and integrate with them as well, as it’s fully compatible to work with Alexa. It’s also equipped with the home assistant, support IFTTT, Nest for smart home integration.
Google 3rd Gen Nest Learning Thermostat is an ideal choice for those who already installed other nest products in their homes or started building a new smart home. It is a device that can integrate with all other nest devices, like if you have installed a nest camera in your home, this thermostat can use that camera to detect your presence. Similarly, it can effectively shut off the device when connected with the nest smoke detector, and there is a fire or smoke in the house.
If you are building a new smart home, I advise you to buy all nest smart devices because they can integrate better and bring you a lot of ease. Alexa connectivity of this thermostat is a plus for you, where you can ask your Alexa to change the temperature or setting. Simultaneously, its app remote control access and enables you to stay connected from a computer mobile or tab.
Every customer and Google itself focuses on its energy-saving and home assistant features, which are really great and deserve five stars. It will learn your schedule and preferred temperature level from your daily routine, then choose the best mode that saves you maximum on energy bills. Approximately it can save from 10 to 13% of energy. Moreover, it works with all low voltage devices.
Drawbacks: support is a drawback with this thermostat. You cannot expect fast support even when you are stuck in a software update or when your automatic learner is not adjusting as per your schedule.
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa
- Innovative Room Sensors: its room sensors are designed to access the environment with various data like occupancy and temperature to get a balanced temperature all around the house.
- Money Savor and Easy to Install: its design to save on energy bills while keeping the device off when you are not at home and turn on the right energy-saving mode; step by step instruction manual included in the package makes installation easy.
- Remote Access: the modern app allows you to access remotely where you can change the setting and set a new schedule. You also can have access to the reports and other data.
- Work with Favorites: it works with all well-known smart home systems like Apple Homekit, Amazon Alexa, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT, and more, support Apple HomeKit, IFTTT smart home integration.
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa comes with a room sensor that makes it easy to monitor and set one additional zone or room temperature. It works with the standard WiFi and can integrate with all other smart home devices. While buying this thermostat, you will be purchasing the right features that you need and will bring a lot of ease in your life, like geofencing and motion activation.
I like most of its reporting; I can see energy consumption and all previous reports that help a lot to understand when it is consuming more, that support to decide about a preferred mode for maximum saving on energy bills. Its intelligent sensors can sense when you are not at home to turn off all the devices, and when you get in, they can automatically enable the right mode on your ecobee4.
It may take some time to learn from your preferred setting, but it will provide you with the comfort you expect once it gets all. It’s Alexa enable, so you can directly instruct Alexa to turn it off, or even you can change the setting and mode through Alexa. You may add additional sensors to regulate more zones.
Drawbacks: not a right learning thermostat. If you have a strict schedule to follow, it cannot match your expectations. The detailed energy consumption reports are simple as many views cannot add value to further energy saving.
Honeywell Home T9 WIFI Smart Thermostat
- Long-Range Sensors: these sensors can effectively communicate up to 200 ft that is an amazing range to cover large homes and multistory buildings.
- Multi-Room Focus: it is a thermostat with a multi-room focus where its censors can detect the occupancy and can switch the right mode, as well as a preference, which will be given to the right place where you are present.
- Known for accurate alerts: it quickly learns the heating and cooling requirement of your all zones and then starts sending alerts about temperature and other remote access information.
- Work With Favorites: If you are found with Microsoft Cortana, then it’s a thermostat for you. It’s also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, and more, support IFTTT for smart home integration.
Honeywell Home T9 WIFI Smart Thermostat offers some amazing benefits that are not possible with others. The first one is the range of remote sensors. I always recommend it to those who have really big houses or living in a multi-story house. Other similar capacity smart thermostats come with a sensor range of 50 feet. In comparison, this product offers an amazing range of 200 feet that is really big and enough to automate a large house through a single thermostat.
For multistory building, this is the only solution, and for large houses in which more rooms, you are at liberty to add more sensors.
I personally like to use Microsoft Cortana, especially when I am using my desktop computer. There are many features and things that are only possible with this assistant. I am sure people who are using Cortana are well familiar with this fact. Now, the Honeywell thermostat is fully compatible with Microsoft Cortana and can take instructions from it. I test it with Cortana, and it works smoothly.
Auto Home feature is another advantage that can save you time as well as money. There is no need to switch off the systems when you are going out manually, Honeywell smart thermostat can detect your presence, and when you are out of home, it will turn off all the devices to save energy cost. There is also a built-in energy-saving feature in this device. Its remote control application provides extensive reporting and trigger alerts as you set.
Drawbacks: setting up the system might take some time and may bother you, but once it’s in place, it works fine. Few may not like the most simple and straightforward interface.
Google Nest Thermostat E
- Simple But Elegant: it’s a most simple version of google’s thermostat with a clean display but is equipped with all necessary technologies and features.
- Proven Energy Saver: the leaf is a real benefit of this thermostat, it’s a feature designed to save energy, and when it appears, you can stay sure you are saving money.
- Simple functions: it’s powered simple to set functions even a novice owner can operate it easily. It supports room sensors and provides the ability to manage multiple zones.
- Work With Favorites: smart home integrations IFTTT & Nest, Voice Assistants Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant.
Google Nest Thermostat E Smart Thermostat is the most simple solution from google to automate your house’s temperature. Its display, app, and configurations systems are kept simple, but that does not mean functionality. It’s still enough power to save you on energy. You will get all the power in your hand through the app that provides you with the ability to configure and see statistics and access reports to optimize it for energy-saving further.
With this thermostat setting, an own schedule is so easy as it provides full access through the app and its sensor support enables management of the temperature of multiple zones from one place. The same sensors also help to detect the occupancy to serve you better.
Home Assistant is one feature that can turn on the systems when you are home and can switch to the right mode, and it also can turn off the system when you are not near.
Many customers like it because it’s priced reasonably, and its app and thermostat itself are easy to setup. I figure out that this is a product that is most easy to install because its plates are simple and clear installation instructions are provided in the manual.
Drawbacks: not compatible with most old wirings even with some C-wires before buying, you must check the compatibility; otherwise, installing new wires may cost additional expense.
Emerson Sensi Smart Thermostat
- Smart and Advanced: it’s compatible with C-wire and works with most the HVAC systems, touch screen, and WiFi connectivity, and smart features make it a top-of-the-line product.
- Save on HVAC Energy: designed to run the HVAC system with the lowest required power and its built-in energy saver mode to take care of it automatically, approximately it can save 23% energy.
- Control from Anywhere: it’s comes with a free app that allows staying connected with the internet’s help. All of its features, settings s, and operations can be controlled from the app, and it’s also possible to access reports.
- Work with Favorites: yes, it works with most known smart home systems like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, and Wink smart home platforms.
Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Touchscreen Color Display is a top-rated smart thermostat Emerson sold in thousands and enjoying an outstanding response from the market. If you are a person who is not fond of big brand names and want an authentic solution that can make your home smart enough, then the product in the spotlight is a perfect solution.
It’s made with the most advanced technology and comes with features which cost nearly doubles when you choose big brands. From connectivity to convenience, it has all that a smart homeowner needs.
It’s not a new product or, nor accidentally build, the manufacturer is making intelligent thermostats for a long time; it’s their research and efforts that paid off. They make a cost-effective solution that is priced reasonably for end-user.
Touch screen display and user-friendly app environment make it easy to configure or let it manage all for you, and it will keep the temperature constant for you that you like most.
It is a multistage thermostat that one also can use for heat only or cool only options. You will be amazed to know that it’s a multi-voltage system equipped with Geo-fencing, so your thermostat can sense you and turn on the most preferred mode when you are near. Reports and alerts will keep you updated and also help you to take corrective measures timely.
Drawbacks: no support for sensors is the only drawback of this thermostat; you cannot monitor multiple zones with it.
Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat
- Good Adaptive Learner: its intelligent adaptive recovery features make learning how your home cools and warm that helps it achieve the required temperature quickly.
- Energy Star Certified: compatible with most single-stage and multi-stage conventional and heat pump heating and cooling systems that will definitely save you money on energy bills.
- App-Controlled: a user-friendly app is designed to control the full features that act as a remote and provide access wherever you are, and it also keeps you informed with alerts.
- Work with Favorites: yes, it can be controlled through Apple HomeKit or Amazon Echo that will bring some ease for you; you may ask Alexa to increase or decrease the temperature.
Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat provides better control over the fan to customize it for more air or less. It sold in thousands, but we cannot grade it as a best-rated smart thermostat because many other thermostats are technologically advanced and offer better control and learn from setting and routine. It comes with 7-day flexible scheduling; once you set a full week schedule, you can stay worry-free. Its smart features turn on the device when you are at home and automatically turn it off when you are away while accessing your mobile geo-fencing.
It comes with an adapter in the package that makes it easy to run without C-wire; it is a good option that works on both C-wire and non-C-Wire to save you from spending extra money on wiring. We like it because it’s an easy-to-install DIY solution that will hardly take 30 minutes to set up, and you can start optimizing your thermostat o save on energy bills and automate the temperature needs.
Please choose a preferred temperature, and this thermostat will automatically decide either you need heating or cooling and can keep our home of specific temperature without any intervention. At the same time, you can see the statistics on the mobile app from where you can also control the thermostat and amend the schedules.
Drawbacks: no support for room sensors and limited help of other smart home assistants, hard to connect to with Alexa, it has fewer features as compared to all the above-listed devices.
Emerson ST55 Smart Thermostat
- Highly Compatible: if you need a thermostat for your C-wire-based HVAC system, then it’s a perfect thermostat for you; it compatible with all of the systems in the market even it works with heat only and cool only systems.
- Energy Star Certified: it also wins top positions in 2017 and 2018. You can stay sure it will run your device on the optimum level to consume less energy and save you on electricity bills.
- App and Alerts: the user-friendly app designed to empower yourself with the controls, you will receive alerts and access statistics and settings from the mobile app.
- Work with Favourites: it works with all of the well-known smart home solutions like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit (c-wire required), Samsung SmartThings, and Wink smart home platforms.
Emerson ST55 Smart Thermostat is another option that I love most because it is a low-cost alternative that works with all old and new systems; whatever system you have installed can surely work with that. Even there are dozens of heat only and cool the only system that it can handle effectively. During my research, I found that every system used in our country is compatible with the thermostat.
If you live in an area where you need a heat-only or a cooling-only solution, there is no need to spend an extra budget on the costly solutions. This product works best with singular systems and also will help you to control the cost of electricity.
Scheduling and app control are features that are hardly possible at this price, but Emerson is offering these state of art features that will bring a lot of ease to your life. I figure that there are some advanced features that one might like when working with heat and cooling systems, but in a singular system, those features do not have any significance. You do not need to hire an electrician for installation; it comes with a complete manual that elaborates on installing it, surely helping you to DIY.
Its compatibility with other smart home systems is a real advantage; you can ask your smart home assistant to increase or decrease the temperature without touching your remote or thermostat itself. While for convenience, you can set your seven days schedule to stay worry-free.
Drawbacks: no support for sensors and lacking many modern features, you may find it challenging to connect with WiFi, need strong WiFi signals to work smoothly
GLAS Smart Thermostat
- Air Quality Monitoring: humidity, indoor; total VOCs and equivalent CO2 it can measure and show you statistics accordingly, it’s a most innovative feature that no other manufacturer is offering, outdoor; allergens, air quality index and UV index.
- Compatible with All Systems: it works with all systems, multistage and different heat and cool only systems. During my research, I cannot find any incompatible system. There is a huge list of supporting systems.
- Beautiful and advanced: it looks elegant, and it can be controlled through the app, and the touch screen large display of the thermostat is awesome to use and user-friendly.
- Work with Favorites: it works with Amazon Alex and Google Assistant to make it a device that can be controlled from the voice.
GLAS Smart Thermostat is a most innovative piece from the well-renowned thermostat manufacturer Johnson Controls, making thermostats for decades and has vast experience in this field. But it remains failed to get the attractions that it deserves. During my review, I did not find anything that pushes me to rate it poorly. Customers who are buying it may differ from me. You may not find it user-friendly, but it works great and is equipped with all the modern features that one wants while making his home smart.
Its mobile app is different from other thermostats. It shows more statistics and reporting as well as provides full control over the app. It also enables you to access your home thermostat from any corner of the world and can amend your schedule and see the reports and view the air quality of your home and the outside environment.
Its compatibility with Alexa is excellent that provides amazing controls. In any part of your house, you ask Alexa to change the setting, which will be done automatically. If you really have features that can overcome many of your worries, especially if you live in an area where you are doubted about the air quality, you definitely have to choose this thermostat.
Drawbacks: no support for Cortana, it seems that company discounted Cortana feature, poor support, and this device require strong Wifi Signals to stay stable, not suitable for novice people it’s hard to troubleshoot this device.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Large Screen Display: its screen is big enough and designed to show all the necessary information and a touch screen from where you can change the setting.
- Simple to Install: it’s easy to install; a homeowner with no experience can install it easily.
- User-Friendly App: its app acts as a remote control and provides you the ability to manage the thermostat setting remotely from anywhere.
- Work with Favorites: Compatible with Alexa; you add voice control with an Alexa device, ask your Alexa to increase or decrease the thermostat.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat is priced reasonably with minimum features, which makes it affordable for many of us. Honeywell’s basic variant comes with a touch screen and provides essential functions of smart thermostats. If you are limited in budget, then this thermostat can be an ideal choice because it is compatible with Alexa, from where you can control it through voice.
Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
- Highly Compatible: it’s compatible with most heating and cooling devices. Basically, it requires C-Wire to work.
- 7-Day Programming: you set your schedule of temperature, and once established, it will follow that schedule without any human intervention.
- Remote App: it’s not a touch screen thermostat, but that does not mean it’s smart enough. The app provides remote control access.
- Work with Favorites: you will be amazed to know that it works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT, Bonomi, Wink, and Stringy (devices sold separately).
Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Thermostat offers features that are not possible with any other thermostat at a similar price. Its price is the most significant factor in its success, and amazingly, it works with all smart home solutions. I found that its WiFi connectivity is stable, and it can effectively communicate with other smart home solutions.
App also provides you access to local weather, supporting deciding about the better mode, and voice controls add more convenience for users.