Smart thermostats were born in 2011 when Nest took a revolutionary step and introduced a WiFi thermostat that can learn and follow the schedule. It was a revolutionary step that compels competitors to make more innovative products and also open new opportunities for many technology companies to enter into this lucrative market. From then to now, many things have changed, and modern-day real smart thermostats can connect with the smart home kits, and Assistants as well can integrate with other supporting smart devices. A top-rated smart thermostat can connect with other smart home solutions learn from your routine and set a schedule automatically also can detect occupancy, can sense when you are not home on the basis of motion activation and Geo-fencing to turn off the device as well as can optimize the devices for low power consumption to save on energy bills.
A best-rated smart thermostat can bring a lot of ease in your life; with a home assistant, these thermostats can be controlled with voice, and remote apps provide full access where the owner can see the live setting view reports and can remotely adjust the schedules. The top three in this race are listed below, which are our recommendations as well.
If you are not a fan of big names and want functionality only other then smart scheduling then Emerson ST55 Smart Thermostat is the best solution for you. We recently reviewed some of the best multi-zone thermostats that you can use to monitor the temperature of different zones inside your house. I believe that every homeowner has something different in mind, to buy the best smart thermostat that can monitor your whole house choice are very limited. But if you list all of your requirement then it will become easy for you to find the right thermostat for yourself.
Ecobee Smart Thermostat with Voice Control
- Most Advanced: its redesigned and engineered with vivid touch display, quad-core processor and dual-band WiFi Support 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz, provide same power of the mobile phone, and its support of room sensors is amazing
- Alexa Builtin: an ideal thermostat for music lovers built-in Alexa allow to stay connected through your thermostat, support all advanced Alexa features
- App-controlled and energy saver: the app of this futuristic thermostat provides full control over its features, and its energy-saving characteristic can save your 23% on energy bills
- Work With Favorites: Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings & IFTTT, Spotify Connect and Bluetooth streaming as well as it can be integrated with all devices in your home, support Apple HomeKit, IFTTT for smart home integration
Google 3rd Gen Nest Learning Thermostat
- Self Learner & Farsight: no more confusing programming, it is designed to learn from your schedual and changes in temperature as well as preferred mode then after a week start providing your best experience automatically, can detect you when you are in the room light up and show you important information
- Real Smart Thermostat: it is a WiFi thermostat that can connect and integrate with other smart devices as well as a good energy saver with a builtin energy-saving mode, its app provides remote connectivity and full control over the device
- Geofencing and Motion Activation: it can detect you to either from geofencing or motion sensor to turn on your most preferred mode, this feature also allows it to save a lot of energy
- Work With Favorites: it is compatible with other nest device and can connect and integrate with them as well as it’s fully compatible to work with Alexa, it’ also equipped with the home assistant, support IFTTT, Nest for smart home integration
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa
- Innovative Room Sensors: its room sensors are designed to access the environment with various data like occupancy and temperature that helps to get a balanced temperature all around the house
- Money Savor and Easy to Install: its design to save on energy bills while keeping the device off when you are not at home and turn on right energy-saving mode, step by step instruction manual included in the package make installation easy
- Remote Access: the modern app allows you to have access remotely where you can change the setting and can set a new schedule, also can have access to the reports and other data
- Work with Favorites: it works with all of well know smart home systems like Apple Homekit, Amazon Alexa, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT and more, support Apple HomeKit, IFTTT smart home integration
Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa comes with a room sensor that makes it easy to monitor and set the temperature of one additional zone or room. It works with the standard WiFi and can integrate with all other smart home devices. I must say while buying this thermostat you will be purchasing the right features that you need and will bring a lot of ease in your life like geo-fencing and motion activation.
The feature that I like most is its reporting; I can see energy consumption and all previous reports that help a lot to understand when it is consuming more, that support to decide about a preferred mode for maximum saving on energy bills. Its intelligent sensors can sense when you are not at home to turn off all the devices, and when you get in, they can automatically enable the right mode on your ecobee4.
It may take some time to learn from your preferred setting, but once it gets all it will provide you with comfort that you expect. It’s Alexa enable so you can directly instruct Alexa to turn it off, or even you can change the setting and mode through Alexa. You may add additional sensors to regulate more zones.
Drawbacks: not a good learning thermostat, if you have a tough schedual to follow them it cannot match your expectations, the detailed energy consumption reports are simple as many of the view that cannot add value to further energy saving.
Honeywell Home T9 WIFI Smart Thermostat
- Long-Range Sensors: it sensors can effectively communicate up to 200 ft that is an amazing range to cover large homes and multistory buildings
- Multi-Room Focus: it is a thermostat with the multi-room focus where its censors can detect the occupancy and can switch the right mode as well as preference will be given to the right place where you are present
- Known for accurate alerts: it quickly learns the heating and cooling requirement of your all zones and then starts sending alerts about temperature and other information on remote access
- Work With Favorites: If you are found of Microsoft Cortana then its a thermostat for you, it’s also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, and more, support IFTTT for smart home intergration
Google Nest Thermostat E
- Simple But Elegant: its a most simple version of google thermostat that comes with a clean display but it equipped with all necessary technologies and features
- Proven Energy Saver: the leaf is a real benefit of this thermostat, its a feature which is designed to save the energy and when it appear you can stay sure you are saving money
- Simple functions: its powered simple to set functions even a novice owner can operate it easily, it supports room sensors as well that provide the ability to manage multiple zones
- Work With Favorites: smart home integrations IFTTT & Nest, Voice Assistants Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant
Google Nest Thermostat E Smart Thermostat is the most simple solution from google to automate the temperature of your house. Its display, app and configurations systems are kept simple but that does not mean it is lacking in functionality. It’s still enough power to save you on energy. You will get all the power in your hand through the app that provides you with the ability to configure and see statistics as well as access reports to further optimize it for energy saving.
With this thermostat setting, an own schedual is so easy as it provides full access through the app and its sensor support enables to manage the temperature of multiple zones from one place and the same sensors also help to detect the occupancy to better serve you. Home Assistant is one feature that can turn on the systems when you are home and can switch to the right mode and it also can turn off the system when you are not near.
Many customers like it because its priced reasonably and its app and thermostat itself are easy to setup. I figure out that this is a product which is most easy to install because its plates are simple and clear installation instructions are provided in the manual.
Drawbacks: not compatible with most of the old wirings even with some of C-wires before buying you must check the compatibility otherwise installing new wires may cost of additional expense.
Emerson Sensi Smart Thermostat
- Smart and Advanced: it’s compatible with C-wire and work with most of HVAC systems, touch screen, and WiFi connectivity and smart features make it a top of the line product
- Save on HVAC Energy: designed to run the HVAC system with the lowest required power and its built-in energy saver mode take care of it automatically, approximately it can save 23% energy
- Control from Anywhere: it’s comes with a free app allow to stay connected with the help of the internet, all of its features, setting and operations can be controlled from the app as well as its also possible to access reports
- Work with Favorites: yes it works with most of the known smart home systems like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, and Wink smart home platforms
Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Touchscreen Color Display is a top rated smart thermostat Emerson which is sold in thousands and enjoying an outstanding response from the market. If you are a person who is not fond of big brand names and want an authentic solution that can make your home smart enough, then the product in the spotlight is a perfect solution. Its made with the most advanced technology and comes with features which cost nearly doubles when you choose big brands. From connectivity to convenience, it has all that a smart homeowner needs.
It’s not a new product or nor accidentally build the manufacturer is making intelligent thermostats for a long time; it’s their research and efforts that paid off, and they make a cost-effective solution that is priced reasonably for end-user. Touch screen display and user-friendly app environment make it easy to configure or let it manage all for you, and it will keep the temperature constant for you, that you like most.
It is a multistage thermostat that one also can use for heat only or cool only options. You will be amazed to know that it’s a multi-voltage system equipped with the Geo-fencing, so your thermostat can sense you and turn on the most preferred mode when you are near. Reports and alerts will keep you updated and also help you to take corrective measures timely
Drawbacks: no support for sensors is the only drawback of this thermostat; you cannot monitor multiple zones with it.
Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat
- Good Adaptive Learner: its intelligent adaptive recovery features make it capable to learn how your home cools and warm that helps it to achieve the required temperature quickly
- Energy Star Certified: compatible with most single-stage and multi-stage conventional and heat pump heating and cooling systems that will definitely save you money on energy bills
- App-Controlled: a user-friendly app is designed to control the full features that act as a remote and provide access wherever you are, and it also keeps you informed with alerts
- Work with Favorites: yes it can be controlled through Apple HomeKit or Amazon Echo that will bring some ease for you, you may ask Alexa to increase or decrease the temperature
Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat provides better control over fan where you can customize it for more air or less. It sold in thousands, but we cannot grade it as a best-rated smart thermostat because many other thermostats are technologically advanced and offer better control as well as can learn from setting and routine. It comes with a feature of 7-day flexible scheduling; once you set a full week schedual, then you can stay worry-free. Its smart features turn on the device when you are at home and automatically turn it off when you are away while accessing geo-fencing from your mobile.
It comes with an adapter in the package that makes it easy to run without C-wire, it is a good option that works on both C-wire and non-C-Wire that will save you from spending extra money on wiring. We like it because it’s an easy to install DIY solution that will hardly take 30 minutes to set up and you can start optimizing your thermostat o save on energy bills and to automate the temperature needs
Choose a preferred temperature, and this thermostat will automatically decide either you need heating or cooling and can keep our home of specific temperature without any intervention while you can see the statistics on the mobile app from where you also can control the thermostat and can amend the schedules as well
Drawbacks: no support for room sensors and limited support of other smart home assistants, hard to connect to with Alexa, it has fewer features as compared to all the above-listed devices.
Emerson ST55 Smart Thermostat
- Highly Compatible: if you need a thermostat for your C-wire based HVAC system then it’s a perfect thermostat for you, it compatible with all of the systems in the market even it works with heat only and cool only systems
- Energy Star Certified: it also win top positions in 2017 and 2018, you can stay sure it will run your device on the optimum level where they will consume less energy and saves you on electricity bills
- App and Alerts: the user-friendly app designed to empower yourself with the controls, you will receive alerts and can access statistics as well as setting from the mobile app
- Work with Favorites: it works with all of the well known smart home solutions like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit (c-wire required), Samsung SmartThings and Wink smart home platforms
Emerson ST55 Smart Thermostat is another option that I love most because it is a low-cost alternative that works with all old and new systems; whatever system you have installed, it can surely work with that. Even there are dozens of heat only and cool the only system that it can handle effectively. During my research, I found that every system that is being used in our country is compatible with the thermostat. If you are living in an area where you need a heat-only or a cooling only solution then there is no need to spend extra budget on the costly solutions. This product works best with singular systems and also will help you to control the cost of electricity.
Scheduling and app control are features that are hardly possible in this price, but Emerson is offering these state of art features that will bring a lot of ease in your life. I figure that there are some advanced features that one might like when working with heat and cooling system, but in case of a singular system that features does not have any significance. You do not need to hire an electrician for installation; it comes with a complete manual that elaborates how to install it, surely help you to DIY.
Its compatibility with other smart home systems is a real advantage; you can aks your smart home assistant to increase or decrease the temperature without touching your remote or thermostat itself. While for convenience, you can set your seven days schedual to stay worry-free.
Drawbacks: no support for sensors and lacking many modern features, you may find it challenging to connect with WiFi, need strong WiFi signals to work smoothly
GLAS Smart Thermostat
- Air Quality Monitoring: humidity, indoor; total VOCs and equivalent CO2 it can measure and show you statistics accordingly, it’s a most innovative feature that no other manufacturer is offering, outdoor; allergens, air quality index and UV index
- Compatible with All Systems: it work with all systems multistage and different heat and cool only systems, during my research I cannot find any incompatible system, there is a huge list of supporting system
- Beautiful and advanced: it looks elegant and it can be controlled through the app as well as touch screen large display of thermostat is awesome to use as well as user-friendly
- Work with Favorites: it works with Amazon Alex and Google Assistant that will make it a device which can be controlled from the voice
GLAS Smart Thermostat is a most innovative piece from the well-renowned thermostat manufacturer Johnson Controls which is making thermostats from decades and has vast experience in this field. But it remains failed to get the attractions that it deserves. During my review, I did not find anything that pushes me to rate it poor customers who are buying it may differ with me. You may not find it user-friendly but it works great and equipped with all the modern features that one wants while making his home smart.
Its mobile app is different from other thermostats, it shows more statistics and reporting as well as provide full control over the app. It also enables you to access your home thermostat from any corner of the world and can amend your schedule as well as you can see the reports and view the air quality of your home and the outside environment.
Its compatibility with Alexa is excellent that provides amazing controls like in any part of your house you ask the Alexa to change the setting and that will be done automatically. If you really have features that can overcome many of your worries, especially if you are living in an area where you are doubted about the air quality then definitely you have to choose this thermostat.
Drawbacks: no support for Cortana, it seems that company discounted Cortana feature, poor support, and this device require strong Wifi Signals to stay stable, not suitable for novice people it’s hard to troubleshoot this device.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Large Screen Display: its screen is big enough and designed to show all the necessary information as well as it is a touch screen from where you can change the setting
- Simple to Install: it’s easy to install a homeowner with no experience can install it easily
- User-Friendly App: its app acts as a remote control and provides you the ability to manage the thermostat setting remotely from anywhere
- Work with Favorites: Compatible with Alexa; you add voice control with an Alexa device, ask your Alexa to increase or decrease the thermostat
Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat is priced reasonably with minimum features, which makes it affordable for many of us. It is a basic variant of Honeywell that comes with a touch screen and provides essential functions of smart thermostats. If you are limited in budget, then this thermostat can be an ideal choice for you because it is compatible with Alexa from where you can control it through voice.
Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
- Highly Compatible: its compatible with most of heating and cooling devices, basically it requires C-Wire to work
- 7-Day Programming: you set your schedule of temperature and once established it will follow that schedule without any human intervention
- Remote App: it’s not a touch screen thermostat, but that does not mean it’s not smart enough, the app provides remote control access
- Work with Favorites: you will be amazed to know that it works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, IFTTT, Bonomi, Wink, and Stringy (devices sold separately)
Honeywell Home 7-Day Programmable Thermostat offers the features that are not possible with any other thermostat at a similar price. Its price is the most significant factor of its success, and amazingly, it works with all of the smart home solutions. I found that its WiFi connectivity is stable, and it can effectively communicate with other smart home solutions. App also provides you access to local weather that supports to decide about the better mode and voice controls add more convenience for users.
My Picks of 8 Best Smart Thermostats
|1 Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice Control is most advanced thermostat like no other with 5GHz WiFi support and Quad-Core processor which makes it fast to connect with other smart devices and stay responsive all the time; Its built-in Alexa allow to talk with the thermostat without additional Alexa device and can connect other smart devices, its easy to install, made to save 23% on energy bills and works with other favorite smart home assistants like Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, Samsung SmartThings, and IFTTT.|
|2 Google Nest 3rd Gen Smart Thermostat a futuristic design with user-friendly interface, an excellent learner it learns from schedual and automatically starts providing the most favorite temperature, it guides with alerts for the right direction to save on energy bills, farsight lights it up to show necessary information when you are near, it's engineered to work with all heating and cooling systems, and it nearly support 95% of existing system and its room sensor support allow to manage the temprature of different zones.|
|3 Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa comes with a power extender kit that makes it able to work without C-Wire, It keeps you free from the need of Alexa device and its highly compatible with all existing heat and cool systems; room sensor support, power-saving feature and remote connectivity makes it a modern device that everyone wants nowadays, it can sense your presence and can turn on the right mode.|
|4 Honeywell Home T9 WIFI Smart Thermostat comes with sensor support, and amazingly its sensors have a remarkable range of 200 feet, it packed with all modern features like remote control access through the app, energy-saving mode, and its builtin home assistant, It is supportive of adding voice control through Alexa and Google Home; moreover, it comes with power adapter to overcome C-Wire requirement and work with most of the heating and cooling systems.|
|5 Google Nest Thermostat E is a budget thermostat with the frosted display; it is one that provides remote access to thermostats and reports through the mobile app, detailed energy reports help to optimize the system for energy saving, it is compatible with Alexa so you can control it with your voice as well as its home assistant, energy-saving feature and simple schedules that you can set up quickly.|
|6 Ecobee3 lite 2nd Gen Smart Thermostat is a budget-friendly option that has all modern-day features accept built-in Alexa, it works with all of the favorites like Apple HomeKit, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Microsoft Cortana, Samsung SmartThings, Wink, and IFTTT as well as compatible with most heating and cooling systems used in the USA, home away assistant and energy-saving feature along with remote app it has everything that you need.|
|7 Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat ST75 is a top variant of Emerson Thermostats, and it is an Energy Star certified product that can surely save money on energy bills; it has extensive compaitbility, comes with a remote app that provides full access to energy report and control over the machine, Works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Samsung SmartThings, and Wink smart home platforms, it works ith C-wire. |
|8 Honeywell Home T5 Plus Smart Thermostat is a most budget-friendly option in my list; it comes with seven-day flexible scheduling and smart alerts that will keep you informed about power consumption and temperature, it automatically change from heat to cool, and its remote app provides full control over the device while it's Alexa connectivity makes possible to control the thermostat with voice, C-Wire is a mandatory requirement for this thermostat.|