There is a lot of difference between smart and traditional thermostats, which comes with keys and keypads. To understand it, imagine the difference between an SUV and a buggy. Honeywell, one leading player in the thermostat market for many years, is also competing with other giants through its cutting edge research and technology by making a product that customers are admiring. If you are looking to buy one, our Honeywell WiFi Thermostat review will let you know what you will get in the package and what’s not available in this smart device.
Honeywell T9 WiFi Smart Thermostat Review
T9 Smart Thermostat is the latest & advanced smart thermostat from Honeywell. Most of us are well familiar with Honeywell because of their other home improvement solutions. But the product in the spotlight is different; it’s a technologically advanced equipment that is competing with the big players like Ecobeed and Google Nest. From the manufacturer’s side, this is the robust product they offer regarding research and modernization.
Honeywell enjoyed good footprints in the US Homes with its other products and already has a huge customer base from where hundreds of smart homeowners bought this product and expressed their satisfaction with its performance and functions.
Its large display and rectangular shape are real conflicting features like I feel comfortable while setting up things from the large screen, but on the other side, technology makes it possible to have edgy products which it is not. If you are a person who loves to have a large screen thermostat, then it’s a perfect choice for you, its big display shows you time, temperature, and much other information shortly it will keep you informed about every aspect through its large screen.
By default, it is designed to show indoor and outdoor temperature and weather conditions icons and then tap the screen; it will lead to detailed information regarding heat-to and cool-to temperature targets that you have set manually. Its equipped with a humidity sensor, and information remains available to you.
Some of its core features are:
- Room Sensor Support: it’s designed to focus on multiple rooms. The amazing support of the room sensor makes it possible to regulate the temperature of a large house. You can place room sensors in different zones and rooms then select your preferred or multiple zones to get a specific temperature.
- Auto Home/Away Scheduling: This feature will save you a lot on energy bills. It’s a device that can sense your presence motion activation sensors, which are placed in room sensors and main unit, and get your location from through mobile, so only run devices when you are home. So do not need to worry if you forget to shut it off while leaving home.
- Energy Saving: if energy saving schemes are available in your area, then you can follow them, while its built-in energy-saving mode also works fine and will reduce your energy cost.
- Learn your Home: yes, it learns your home’s heating and cooling patterns to bring you the temperature that you like most quickly. This feature helps to decide when to turn off and on the heat and cooling system.
- Smart App: it provides remote control access from where you can control your thermostat and receive full information. The thermostat sends you alerts to keep you informed about the necessary actions and information.
- Energy Reports: the app also provides access to energy reports so you can better optimize your schedules to save more on energy bills.
- Power Adapter included: it’s a thermostat that can work without c-wire, where c-wire is not installed, a power adapter is included to keep it alive.
What do I like Most?
I like its range of room sensors; these room sensors work up to 200 feet that are a big advantage where all other competing products have an effective range of 50 feet only. So here is a big difference between Honeywell room sensors and others. I recommend this product for a large house and for those who need to manage multiple stories. With the sensor range of fifty feet, it’s hardly possible to cover the area of 100 feet in total, but with 200 feet, you can have liberty.
The thermostat supports up to 20 sensors, and these are available separately while one is included in the package. These small sensors are packed with motion, temperature, and humidity sensors along with subtle indicator LEDs. They are powered by AAA batteries that last for one year. These Honeywell Home sensors operate on a 900 MHz radio spectrum, stable and delivering the best range in this class. This frequency is much better for penetrating walls, and this capability is lacking in other top-rated smart thermostats.
Room priority is another feature that I like most it allows you to set a different temperature for each sensor you place in different rooms. I can select which sensor to follow that adds many conveniences. On the auto mode, it prioritizes the room, which is occupied.
Just like me, you will also love its simple installation. If you upgrade your Honeywell thermostat, you may install it in ten minutes, but if not, then for convenience, a step-by-step guide is included in the app. While following that instruction, you can install it easily; from a to z, it will hardly take 30 minutes.
Work with Favourites, a device that can integrate with your smart home system, Honeywell Home T9 WiFi Smart Thermostat support all under-listed smart solutions:
- Samsung SmartThings
- Amazon Alexa
- Google Assistant
- Microsoft Cortana
- Apple Homekit
There is a lot that you can do when it connects to the AI home assistants. The biggest advantage that I am enjoying is voice command while watching TV, cooking food. You can ask your smart assistant to change the mode or can get the required information. It is compatible with dozens of systems. You can check the complete detail here. See a list of Alexa thermostat commands that you can use to control it with voice.
Honeywell Home T9 WiFi Smart Thermostat is near competing in the market with its advanced features, and its direct competition is with Ecobeed and Nest. In conjunction with room sensors, it’s a great choice to regulate large and multistory houses’ temperature.
What You Will Not Get?
Just like every modern gadget, this product also needs improvement in some areas, I personally believe that the company learns a lot from its competitors, and currently, they are offering all that a smart homeowner needs, but still, some areas need improvement like:
- It doesn’t have Alexa onboard.
- Lacking behavior learning algorithm like Nest.
- The Thermostat itself does not have a motion sensor.
- The design needs improvement, looks great and simple but not futuristic and compact.
- The interface color combination needs improvement.
- During active monitoring, the app doesn’t show the changed status of sensors.
- It needs strong WiFi Signals to work smoothly.
The above listed are not the functions that affect performance but the requirement of modern days. It’s Honeywell’s first product that supports room sensors and is packed with the functions and features that a smart homeowner needs. I do not consider learning behavior too much when I suggest this thermostat because it’s possible to automate your schedules with Alexa and the rest of the functions it handles automatically with the home assistant.
Other Models of Honeywell WiFi Smart Thermostat
Their long presence in the market makes them capable of offering different models and cheap models that every household user can afford. Here are some most successful models:
Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, 7 Day Programmable, Touch Screen, Energy Star, Alexa Ready
It has all the features similar to T9 but not build to support room sensors and lacks geo-fencing. The additional side is that it comes with a fully customizable color display. You can arrange the information as you like and can select which things to show on the screen. It is compact and elegant as well as offers flexible scheduling.
Many customers like it most, but geofencing is a requirement according to modern scheduling and needs, but Honeywell lovers state that it can be compensated with a remote access app.
Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi 9000 Color Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat
It is a budget thermostat offering most of the rn features and fully compatible with Amazon Alexa. You can control it with voice. A product that works with C-Wire and allows remote control access.
Honeywell RCHT8610WF2006 Lyric T5 Wi-Fi Smart 7 Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat
I put my best efforts into figuring out the difference between this T5 lyric model and T9, the advanced thermostat of Honeywell but hardly finds any. The only difference is room sensors, which it does not support. I use this machine for a year, and I am confident that it is equipped with modern features, and its connectivity with other smart devices is awesome. Its application is fast and responsive, and it’s a stable one when connected to WiFI, and even when the connection is lost, it can effectively handle the heat and cool system.